Friday 20 April 2012

Manolo Mania

For those who aren't in my close circle of friends you might not know that I am obsessed with Manolo Blahnik. The man, the shoes, everything. And because of my elephant memory I can tell you exactly when the passion began. 

I was in grade 10 and watching a Sex and the City marathon. It was season 3 episode 47: What Goes Around Comes Around. While Carrie was devastated over the latest 'Big" fiasco she gets mugged and the robber takes her bag or 'bagette', jewelry and Manolo Blahniks. While this would be horrifying for any woman, the hilariousness of this scene is Carrie begging the robber not to take her Manolo strappy sandals
she got at a sample sale. Check out the link below. Excellent comedic timing HBO, excellent.


Not knowing what Manolos were I Googled them and it was instantly love. I find that his shoes are so wildly different and creative. I feel they are art for your feet rather than an ordinary shoe. My absolute favourite pair is the blue Hangisi Jewel Satin Pumps. I kind of have a strange ritual but when I go shopping at Sherway Gardens (basically the only mall I shop at) I always visit these shoes at Holt Renfrew. Yes I know I'm odd and I have now exposed my quirks publicly, but whatever, in Lady Gaga's words - I was born this way. It's just a constant reminder to myself that one day I will own these blue satin beauties (that are $981.95 before tax). 



Now for the actual reason for my post today. At my university graduation last year my mom (who's the best of the best) gave me probably the sweetest gift. It was a Manolo Blahnik shoe made by TOUS that she found in New York City. TOUS is a jewelry store that has been around since 1920 and they have a line: 

Manolo Blahnik for TOUS
High Heels Go Higher



They are miniatures of M.B's Mary Jane shoe. They come in gold-plated sterling silver and sterling silver pendants. My hilarious mom said she would always buy me my first pair of Manolos and now it was up to me - an adult - to buy a real pair. 



                                          

This was the day of my graduation. Although it's hard to see but I'm wearing my Manolo TOUS necklace. 
Thanks mom :)




No comments:

Post a Comment