Sunday 18 March 2012

Still in Italy

So continuing my last post of Italian shoes, this past summer I spent 6 weeks in Italy. Throughout this time my family there thought it was hilarious that all I wanted to do was go shoe shopping. During that time I found some unique and amazing shoes and of course I had to document all of them. 

Because of my historic background I love a shoe that has a story, and I found a great one off the island of Capri.

Capri is an island off the Tyrrhenian sea and is one of the most beautiful places I have ever been to.

Canfora was founded in 1946 by Amedeo who was legendary for making custom made leather sandals to high profile clients such as Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis, Grace Kelly, Princess Caroline and Sofia Loren to name a few. Today his daughters own the store and it's a family run business. Like true Italians, they're keeping it all in the family. The sandals have been successful due to their wide variety of colours, jewels and handmade real leather

Browse around the website and you can learn more about the history of the Canfora sandal. And don't worry if you don't understand it, the page can be translated into English.


Other little shops try to make similar less expensive sandals, but nothing can beat the Canfora.



Later on in my journeys, I learned of an exquisite designer by the name of Elisabetta Franchi. Everything in her boutiques were amazing, but of course it was the shoes that immediately caught my attention. I could have bought all of them too! However, Italians are not known for small feet, so I rarely came across a size 5 stiletto (however when I did find one I jumped right on them!). 
I found her designs so different are daring, even her clothing pieces too. Just amazing. 
Below are some pics I took of her summer styles. PS I definitely got strange looks from the saleswoman and customers when I took them. But to quote Joy Behar from 'The View', "So what, who cares".

                     



No comments:

Post a Comment